Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Job: pronounced JO-BE (?)

Good morning!
This morning I asked a sister of mine what was one of her favorite books of the Bible.  She replied, "Job."  This book reminds me of Odyssey Tapes- these cassette tapes I remember listening to as a child that had stories from the Bible and their own cast of characters like Eugene and Mr. Whittaker and Connie...  Anyways, there was a story they did on Job.  :)  And on how to pronounce the book correctly.

I came across chapter 9, "Job Has More Questions."  It was revealed to me that Job didn't question the existence of God when he was in pain.  He knew there was a God, He knew that He was Almighty, a Giver and a Taker.  It wasn't a question of "If there was a kind and loving God, why would He let this happen?"  Really, I find this fascinating.  That has been one of my questions when I feel upset, sorry for myself, or sorry for the world...Is there a God?  Why would He let this happen?  Why didn't He do life this way?  But no, even when Job doesn't feel taken care of, there's no question of atheism- God exists!  He just isn't doing what Job thinks is fair or right.  I thought this was and is, fascinating.  Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that all people know there is a God?  That God makes himself known to everyone, even if he or she has not heard of Jesus or what not?  I'm googling it...

http://www.theologicalstudies.org/page/page/1572381.htm
http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/stewart.cfm?id=377 (blue letter Bible?  huh.)

I think what I was thinking of is Romans 1:19-20
"For the truth about God is known to them instinctively.  God has put this knowledge in their hearts.  From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made.  They can clearly see his invisible qualities-- his eternal power and divine nature.  So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God."


"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

And it continues from there!  Wow!  What does this mean for people who deny there is a God?  Me!, for instance.  I went to Africa with a group from my church in the High School Ministry, my junior year of High School.  I was pettily upset, but it was all I could feel at the time.  I was uncomfortable- uncomfortable with the people I was with, that I was only there for a short time- more to have a cool experience and "bless" others, but I was also uncomfortable because I was ready to go home when it came time to do so!  I was coming from America, where everyone wants to go and which is a great place, to help out for a little while, but I was still given food and water and housing, and then left soon after to go back to my comfortable home in America!  Only 10 days later.  I talked with a woman who helped lead the trip with how I was feeling and she brought up, Thomas- a follower of Jesus who is known as "the doubter".   Unfortunately, I could and still can, identify with this man.  Doubt.  Doubting a Good plan God made for mankind, doubting the love and care God has for mankind, doubting the purpose of life.

Anyways, I didn't mean to go so far into this.  I wanted to share something I thought was really cool- how the question of the existence of God did not hinder Job during his trials.  That's all for now.  :)  Thanks.

Okay!  Back to baking intentions:
Firecracker Whoopie Pies
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting  (for upcoming cupcake practice- remember I must consistently practice cupcakes!)

Ttyl.  Sharing bird whistles and warm sun,
Miss Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment